PSB Server security - Turn off Software update

Fredrik_N
Fredrik_N W/ Alumni Posts: 6 Security Scout

Hi,

Will the software update and inventory part of Server Security in PSB run even if I don't use it ?

If so can I disable it?

I can't use it because it takes to much memory and CPU on my virtual machines.

70-90% CPU and 1GB memory for 15 minutes is way to much when trying to preserve resources.

any plans to make it more slim and efficient on the machines resources.

EDIT: Title

Comments

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    For virtual evironments Id rather recommend the Business Suite and SRS but PSB.
    You can schedule the scan (it will then only happen after boot and once a day) or completely disable it (not a good idea).
  • Fredrik_N

I have found that now in the profile, To schedule scans.

Is there a way to schedule installs ?

Also can I somehow see if a server needs to be restarted after software is installed?

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    1) disable scheduled scans (waste of ressources)
    2) SWUP installs can be scheduled from policy
    3) my best guess: Registry - pending updates
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc164360(v=exchg.80).aspx
  • Fredrik_N

Thanks for yout suggestions.

Have you seen this also with the software updater agent taking 90-100% cpu and using 500MB-1GB memory for 15 minutes?

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello Fredrik_N,

Using 500Mb-1Gb is normal for scanning process. 90% of CPU, well, could be. 15 minutes for scanning sounds a bit long. In our test virtual machines scanning takes near 1 minute.

BTW, restart requirement is visible in PSB SS Web User interface on Software Updater tab.

Best regards,

Vad

• Fredrik_N

on a server the antivirus /malware protection is needed to be a low cpu operation and preferable not spike memory usage. otherwise this software it self will comprimise the stability and responseness of the server. 

with a server that uses 3-4GB ram at normal operation f-secure will increase the need for this server by 25-30% 

also making it unresponsive even for 1 minute how can that be acceptable as normal?

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

As far as I remember, only one CPU is occupied during scanning. So, if you have, for example, 4 on your server, it should not be that critical.

Best regards,

Vad

This discussion has been closed.