Firewall alias question

hyvokar
hyvokar W/ Alumni Posts: 165 Junior Protector

Hi,

I need to create a rule for outgoing traffic where remote host is *local* ip address of the workstation itself (yeah, great design by Veeam .. ). The ip address is acquired from DHCP server.

How can I do that? It seems that I cannot use "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". Best solution I came up so far, is to use our dhcp range, but that's far from perfect.

Comments

• hyvokar

Also, I'd like to set my own aliases on FSPMC. Is this supported? For example [backupserver2] 192.168.1.20 ?

This would come very handy, when you need to replace a server, and dont want to go through tens of rules, but simply change the IP on alias.

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello hyvokar,

Aliases are not supported in current PMC UI.

Best regards,

Vad

• hyvokar

Is there a way to refer my dhcp ip address then?

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    V14- Firewall does accept DNS names for the remote host. So you might want to define the alias in DNS / AD.
  • hyvokar

I'm still at V13. V14 firewall seems like a huge disaster to me. 

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    Without knowing that software in detail, please check this:

- Is it possible to assign the same IP aggain via DHCP, then you could use that address.
    - If the server part of that machine is runing locally, how does the client side learn about it?
    - In V13 we still have the concept of trusted NICs...

If you were running a windows firewall, how would that learn about the needs?

Why do you want to limit the outgoing traffic, if you could just allow incomming traffic on that ports only?
This discussion has been closed.