Cloning image

NateUH
NateUH W/ Alumni Posts: 9 Security Scout

We have F-Secure installed on our master image and before we upload the clone image we run:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure\Client Security\BusinessSuite\resetuid.exe" RESETUID RANDOMGUID

On version 14.02

However when we pull down the image they clients do not check into the policy manager again, we have left this for a week and we where forced to reinstall some we have tried:

C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure\Client Security\fsaua-poll.exe as part of our postclone scripts too and this does nothing?

Any help would be great!

Comments

• NateUH
    NateUH W/ Alumni Posts: 9 Security Scout

Hi Vad, We have tried that and it still seems to be a bit iffy,

I will reclone one of the machines and look again, if it still fails to talk to the Policy manager after a clone should i run the F-Secure Support tool?

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master

Hi,
    Either
    1a) better use SMBIOSID each virtual machine should have a unique one assigned from the hypervisor
    or
    1b) using WINS-name would allow to keep the history of the VM.

You just do not want to use RandomGUID as it would create a new entry in PMS on every restart of the VM (in case you trash it on shutdown)
    2) remove the master image from PMS, so that the client is forced to register.
    3) check from the request-log what the clone communicated to PMS

Sidenote: I personally do not like to trash VMs on shutdown, as it deletes all history and forensic data that is needed in case of an incident or a simple support-problem. Also it takes a lot of additional IO and performance to update that machine after start, the machines are outdated and (worst) sometimes a reboot would be needed to activate the new F-Secure drivers that were just downloaded.

M.

This discussion has been closed.