Please post your experiences with FS Software Updater

hyvokar
hyvokar W/ Alumni Posts: 165 Junior Protector

Hi, 

just to make sure it's not me or our environments, what are your experinces using FS software updater?

F-secure paints a frightening picture on their webiste (and seminars) 

"4 out of 5 cyber-attacks on businesses come from bugs in outdated software, and most malware could be avoided with up-to-date software."

They also have a comprehensive list that software updater are supposed to patch at https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/business_global/software-updater

However, 4 out of 5 software I have now tried to patch fails. They are all on the list of supported software. I find this kind of advertising very misleading. You could translate that " F-secure cannot protect your business in 3 out of 5  attacks".

I guess my only options are to keep opening tickets (which basically are "solved" by saying that the software x cannot be updated using our product (which is funny, because the software is on the list), or software y can be updated somewhere in the distant future) while planning some alternative patching methods. 

If anyone can recommend any alternate solutions for mid sized businesses, I'm listening.
Unfortunately  SCCM is out of our price range.

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

If I understand correctly, lately more and more software vendors have started to disallow "3rd party" patching solutions from accessing their hotfix and new version downloads in an automated manner, because they consider it "leeching".

This puts "software updater" type solutions in a difficult situation, because for legal reasons they have to get the binaries from the original software vendors' sources - in other words, they can only maintain an index or database of the required patches locally, but not hoard the actual files.

Yours Sincerely: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

This discussion has been closed.