F-Secure client 14.10 push - removing previous version 13.x

krisvdv
krisvdv W/ Alumni Posts: 31 Security Scout

hi guys,

I used our FSPM 14.20.88937  to push Client Security Premium 14.10 to our laptops.
The "uninstall previous version if necessary" checkbox was checked.

As a result, we're now seeing two different versions (the new one I pushed and the old 13.x version).

In the systray I can see one F-Secure client icon and when I click this I can see it's the new 14.10.

The management server is correct.

However, some issues:

- the client still keeps connecting to the wrong (old) management server. I presume it's the old 13.x client that's doing this?  So after the push, I'm seeing 'installation succesful' on the new FSPM server, but after a while, that client is again in the 'pending' list of the old FSPM server.

- is there a way to uninstall the old 13.x clients from within the PM console for all laptops in bulk?

-  I also noticed that the update server is the f-secure cloud server and not our management server.  For other sites/locations, I used the same install package and the update server on the clients is correctly pointing to the (new) local FSPM server.

Help would be welcome.

thanks,

Kris

Comments

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    This is a known and expected behavoir.
    V14 needs to uninstall V13 and earlier before installing V14.
    Other than befor it uses the ID that you defined (SMBIOS, WINS, Random UID).

I guess if you check the porperties of the old and the new entry you will see that the used IDs are different.

In status/centralized Management activate the ID-column and sort by it, then select the OLD IDs, right-click and select "choose from domaintree", finally delete those hosts.

OR simply wait a couple of days and the old ones will go disconnected. Configure to remove disconnected hosts after 40 days.
  • krisvdv

I didn't know that, thanks.

When I do the Upgrade from the Console as you say, is this a 'hidden' background installation, or will the user see the install process?

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello,

Logged in user will see a small upgrade progress window in the top left corner. Normally the upgrade takes less than one minute.

Best regards,

Vad

• krisvdv

hi,

sounds good, but I can't see/add an ID-column in 'status'/'centralized Management'?

Any idea why?  Our PM is 14.20.

thanks,

Kris

-----------------

"In status/centralized Management activate the ID-column and sort by it, then select the OLD IDs, right-click and select "choose from domaintree", finally delete those hosts."

• MJ-perComp

just rightclick on the names and activate that column

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

The new FSPM 14.41 and FSCS 14.21 product versions include some bugfixes and they are now available for public download. Please make sure to use the latest versions:

https://www.f-secure.com/webclub

(Note: the F-Secure for Windows Servers 14.01 or higher product version isn't yet available, but it should be soon. Thus far the centralized management environment and the Windows workstation side protection has received a version update.)

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• krisvdv

I must be missing something but I can't add an ID column..

fsecure.jpg

• MonikaL
    MonikaL W/ Alumni Posts: 206 W/ Former Staff

Hi krisvdv,

The Unique ID column appears under the "Host Properties" tab and not under "Centralized management". You should be able to add it there.

Capture1.JPG

Regards,
    Monika

• krisvdv

Ok, found the unique ID column, sorted it, and now I'm looking at them, but I have no idea at all how to recognize the "the OLD IDs"?

Sorry, new to F-Secure, thank you for your patience.

Kris

• MJ-perComp
    That's why we sell product trainings. Understanding F-Secure's philosophy and why certain thing have been implemented in a specific way is imminent to get the best out of the best product!

Ask for a quote
  • krisvdv
    There's no (simple) way to do this, and therefore I need to buy a training package so I can learn how to uninstall the previous version 13.x ? ?
  • MJ-perComp

certainly not.
    1) your question was not about uninstalling V13 first, but "why do systems now appear twice?".
    2) As I wrote the training makes sense to understand the philosophy and techniques so that you less likely run into such a situation.
    3) All steps you have to do, have already been explained in the previous posts (set auto removal of disconnected hosts to 40 days and wait).
    grafik.png

If you still want to remove the outdated hosts prior to those 40 days, you can used different methods

- use a smaller value than 40 days. eg. 10 and it will remove host that have not communicated in the last 10 days (but you might delete some hosts that are just "on vacation").

- in Status/Installed Software sort the hosts by version, mark them, right click and "select hosts in domain tree, then from menu choose edit/

grafik.png

grafik.png

- from host properties sort by unique ID, and you will see all the duplicates already marked with a "red X" (assumuning you have set 7 days for "considered disconnected" as above).

As we have no idea/screenshots about what you see we can only guess, but it should be easy for you to identify and remove the old hosts by any of the above methods.

• krisvdv

Many thanks for the comprehensive repsonse Matthias!!

This discussion has been closed.