SWUP not detecting Windows Updates any more - expected behavior?

Bgaard
Bgaard W/ Alumni Posts: 7 Security Scout
edited March 2022 in WithSecure Business Suite

I've been using FSCS Premium/SWUP since 2017 and it's been a priceless tool for hunting computers with missing updates.

Up until early 2021 when it started not detecting missing Windows Updates any more.

Now it's Friday after August's Patch Tuesday and all my Windows clients look fully up to date in PMC "Software updates".

But when checking a couple of random laptops they are still missing their Windows Updates.

My desktop clients are all FSCS Premium 15.11 - or so I thought until I found a lone forgotten 14.21 Premium client in my PMC.

After booting this computer its missing Windows Updates are shown - both in SWUP on the computer and in PMC!

So testing further, by downgrading a 15.11 client to 14.21 I can make PMC show the computer's missing Windows Updates.

Upgrading a 14.21 client by pushing out 15.21 (or 15.11) from PMC makes the missing Windows Updates disappear again.

Can anyone from F-Secure elaborate, is this expected behavior or is there any way to make 15.x behave like 14.21 in regard to Windows Updates?

I'm sure we can all agree that it's critical to get Windows Updates on our users' computers ASAP?

Best regards,

Peter

Answers

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 498 Moderator

Hi Peter,

We will check this with our product team and get back to you.

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 498 Moderator

Hi Peter,

14.21 is the old Ivanti-based Software Updater, so it shouldn't work at all.

Please create a support request with FSDiag from 15.11 , so we can check why SWUP doesn't show updates.

https://www.f-secure.com/en/business/support-and-downloads/support-request

• Bgaard
    Bgaard W/ Alumni Posts: 7 Security Scout

Hi James,

I will open another support case for this then and hope for better results. I had a case for this running for a couple of months but it ended with no solution except "it'll be better soon". After I spent countless hours documenting and fetching fsdiags from clients and PMC for them.

I can see in "fspms-software-updater.log" that my 15.20 PMC/PMS is still talking a lot to content.ivanti.com (last time was 5 minutes ago) and very seldom to vcr.opswat.com (May 18th/19th and then August 11th, that's it).

This discussion has been closed.