Bulk Editing Devices

nickkhorhh
nickkhorhh W/ Member Posts: 5 Security Scout

Hi Guys, Greentings!

Comments

• nickkhorhh

I accidentally typed enter, sorry!.

I would like to know that is it possible to have a bulk editing for devices in Element portals?

There is an export CSV feature which is very good, if we can edit the CSV and upload back at Element portal, it will be great i think.

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 508 Moderator

Hi

Can you advise what exactly you would like to edit in bulk on CSV ?

• nickkhorhh

Hi Jamesch,

I want to bulk edit the Device Name.

The current grid view doesn't allow to edit the device name directly, it need to click into the device and click edit alias.

Thus if we want to edit a lot of device name, we will need to click in and out to edit single device, i think it will take some times to do it.

My device name convention is "HOSTNAME - USER", so when we receive report, we straight away know whose device is reported.

If bulk edit via upload CSV is not viable or practical, at least we can edit the device name from the grid view directly?

Thanks

• MikaArasola
    MikaArasola W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Product Leadership Posts: 68 W/ Staff

There is no bulk editing functionality. However I would maybe highlight that all the views are customisable (clicking the bar icon on the top right corner of the device view allows you to select and reorder columns and after this you can save it from the view menu). With a customised view you could create one that contains the device name and last logged in user (or UPN if preferred) next to each other removing the need for this. However I understand that creating an alias would have other benefits in terms of having the user name visible in other views such as Security Events.

• MikaArasola

Having said that, I just thought of a way that could make this easy, I'll get back to this a bit later.

• MikaArasola

Ok, my idea did not work out immediately but there could be some longer term possibilities... Namely having the ability to edit the device name directly from the device list without needing to go into details. We'll talk about this further with the teams, but can't promise anything directly.

• nickkhorhh

hi @MikaArasola that is well noted.

Waiting for your good news!

Cheers🍻

• MikaArasola

Hi!

Just some feedback on this. Unfortunately up to now we did not find a good UX patterm that would work for quickly editing the alias from the listing. All the suggestions I got had approximately the same amount of clicking as editing from device details and as such I did not feel they would solve your problem. We have parked the item as something we will review again after a while to see if our UX team could come up with a better solution.

Sorry

• nickkhorhh

thanks @MikaArasola for your respond, will be waiting for it happen positively 🤩

This discussion has been closed.