f-secure-linuxsecurity on fedora

otto001
otto001 W/ Alumni Posts: 10 Security Scout
edited July 2023 in Linux Products

Hi,

I am trying to install f-secure-linuxsecurity-12.0.21-1 on a fedora 36 system (I know - not supported, but it worked in the past).

After installing I get:

/opt/f-secure/linuxsecurity/download/linuxsecurity-1200-linux-x86_64/1661945972/content/setup: missing package: python

Please install missing packages and try again.

2022-11-18 09:13:12 src/fsbootstrap.c:466[7] executing '/opt/f-secure/linuxsecurity/download/linuxsecurity-1200-linux-x86_64/1661945972/content/setup' failed, resu

lt 256

2022-11-18 09:13:12 src/fsbootstrap.c:228[7] install failed

activate: activation failed: exit status 2

Failed to activate the product!

"python" is a little bit unspecific. of course python3 is installed. strace did not help.

Does anyone know which package is needed?

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Otto

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 498 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Otto,

We are unable to assist further, as Fedora turned out to be, like mentioned above, unsupported distribution altogether.

We suggest the only way is to change to a supported distribution.

• JamesC
    Answer ✓

Hi @otto001 @Marcel42

Changing the setup script would not help with Fedora because there would still be other issues left preventing the product from working with fedora, issues that can't be solved permanently.

Answers

• otto001

Well, if I knew, which file(s) is/are checked I could look for the needed packages myself...

Otto

• JamesC

Hi Otto, modification of our installation package is unsupported.

Fedora is not a supported Linux Distribution for Linux Security, you may refer to all supported operating systems here

• otto001

Hi,

I do not want to modify anything. But some collegues (and myself) are using fedora. I just would like to know what the software/package is checking for when it tells me that python is missing. What I want to do is to modify my system...

Otto Brandstätter

• JamesC

Hi Otto

Thank you for clarifying. You may find more information on the dependencies here - https://help.f-secure.com/product.html?business/releasenotes-business/latest/en/fsls64-latest-en

Seems that Fedora 36 is based on RHEL 9, so please ensure the following dependencies are installed:

AlmaLinux 9, RHEL 9

• libcurl
    • python3

Though keep in mind, we are unable to guarantee the product functionality because this is on unsupported Operating System.

• otto001

Hi and thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately it did not solve my problem.

As mentioned in the documents you linked, I even installed python 3.9 on my system, but f-secure still is missing "python".

Could you please give me a hint which file is checked for? Maybe it is only a missing link or something. We bought f-secure for some hundred clients - and as far as I can see only on fedora it is making problems. Switching distribution is not really an option.

Best regards,

Otto

• JamesC

Hi Otto,

I have checked with our product team.

Fedora is unsupported because its development pace is so rapid , that it cannot be used even with the distro spoofing feature.

• otto001

Hi and thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately it did not solve my problem.

As mentioned in the documents you linked, I even installed python 3.9 on my system, but f-secure still is missing "python".

Could you please give me a hint which file is checked for? Maybe it is only a missing link or something. We bought f-secure for some hundred clients - and as far as I can see only on fedora it is making problems. Switching distribution is not really an option.

Best regards,

Otto

• otto001

Thanks a lot!

In this case we are considering to change the antivirus product...

• Marcel42
    Marcel42 W/ Alumni Posts: 7 Security Scout

Hey Otto,

i'm having the same issue (Fedora 36 Server), activation fails with error "missing package: python"

as Fedora is RedHat/RHEL i installed all the mentioned packages but it didnt work. I will dig deeper into this and let you know if i find a solution.

I can also understand WithSecure here, its not easy to support all distributions and at some point they need to draw a line. But at least im not the only one with this problem, this helps for now :-)

• Marcel42
    Marcel42 W/ Alumni Posts: 7 Security Scout

i found that during activation the setup script checks for the two dependencies "libcurl.x86_64" and "python" in case the os is identified as one of the following:

amzn2 | centos7 | rhel7.* | ol7.* | fedora[2-9][0-9]) [found in "setup" -> line 756]

it does so by calling "rpm -qi <package_name>" and this fails for "python". It would work fine for "python3", but as there is a signature check in place we as users cant update that codeline to check for python3 instead or make a new case-branch for fedora.

if "fedora" was not in that list at all, the user would be notified about using an unsopported system, but as its included, this message never comes.

interestingly the script does check for "python3" on some systems, including rhel8+9, which would allow fedora30+ to pass the activation. So i heavily cross my fingers :-) that some nice person in the linux team of withsecure gets the 2 minutes of time to either add 6 lines of code or to move the 16 characters in charge 12 lines deeper.

best regards,

Marcel

• otto001

Hey Marcel,

thanks for your investigation.

Hopefully someone of the linux team reads this and does us the favour (as paying customers) to fix that soon....

Best regards,

Otto

• otto001

Hi @Jamesch,

well, on my old laptop (starting with a previous version of fedora) I had it running obviously without any issue, even when upgrading to the newest fedora release. Only after getting new hardware I installed from scratch and now f-secure doesnt install anymore. Shame...

• otto001

it is REALLY a SHAME that this company does not really support modern desktop linux distributions.

for PAYING customers!

This discussion has been closed.