Software updates in Policy Manager: show installed version of outdated software

JUB
JUB W/ Alumni Posts: 9 Security Scout
edited August 2023 in WithSecure Business Suite

Hi All,

In the Policy Manager (version 15.30), the "Software updates" are showing under "Update description" the version of the software that can or should be updated to.

However, I would also like to see the version that is currently installed on the client.

Maybe this question has been asked before, but I have not found anything here.

Thanks, JUB

Best Answer

• WIthsecure_Dharmik
    WIthsecure_Dharmik W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout
    Solved

Hi @JUB

Good day to you and thank you for the detailed explanation.

i apologize that my colleague didnt got it at first glance.

The feature that you are requesting for our Policy Manager doesnt have it yet. I alreay have spoke to the Product Stakeholders and they will consider it to have it implements in future releases.

However the same feature is avaliable in Elements Security Center ( I have attahed a sample screenshot) that shows the Current installed version and the one that is avaliable to update.

Stake holders are quite confident that this is something doable in future releases :) as we already have done it for Elements Security Center( EPP)

i hope i have answered your question

Let us know if any.

Br,

Dharmik

Technical support Engineer | Withsecure

Answers

• Sethu Laks
    Sethu Laks W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 216 Moderator

Hi @JUB

You can refer to this article Allowing end users to manage software updates.

• JUB

Hi @Sethu

Unfortunately the article does not answer my question. (Perhaps my wording was misleading.)

I want to see the currently installed version of the software in the Policy Manager, not on the client itself.

Thanks, JUB

• Sethu Laks

Hi @JUB

Thanks for the detailed explanation, its possible that you can view that installed software through web reporting.

You can then click the Installed Software Updates which redirects to a new page where you can view the version for the installed software.

For information about web reporting, you can refer here https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#business/policy-manager/15.10/en/task_083D22EE772C4F308780BB65B1098846-15.10-en

Thanks

Sethu

• JUB

Hi @Sethu

I hate to say it, but that's not what I'm looking for either.

The reporting leads to further problems.

I can only log in there with the admin account, but not with an AD account like in the Policy Manager.

The Report shows the Version of an already installed update and the number of hosts, but not the name of the hosts.

To describe it in detail with an example:

The software updater detects outdated versions of GIMP. In this case the list for the domain contains 4 entries with 6 affected hosts in total (2 entries have 2 hosts each).

The column 'Update description' contains the version to be updated to. This is not the currently installed version. But that's the one I'm interested in!

Why there are 4 entries for 6 hosts? The CVE-ID is the same, but the Bulletin number differs. Probably because 4 different versions of GIMP are installed.

Best regards,

JUB

• Sethu Laks

Hi @JUB

Thanks, @Dharmik_Mehta,

In addition, please note that an ETA is not available when the feature will be implemented for the Business Suite, such as Policy Manager.

This discussion has been closed.