F-Secure Client Security and PSB Workstation removed after installing Windows 10 fall update

jao0201
jao0201 W/ Alumni Posts: 16 Security Scout

After the Windows 10 update to build 10586, F-secure 12 0.648 is removed.

I had to manually reinstall it. 

Why?

EDIT : TITLE

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

Your question is posted in the wrong site, as this is not MSFT.com. It is not like F-Secure Corp. can prevent Microsoft from breaking the compatibility of their own operating system.

The only thing F-secure can do is to release an FSCS 12.10 version, where they may include workarounds for the latest Win10 trickery. I hope they can release such a thing in late December? But even that cannot prevent Microsoft from breaking F-Secure compatibility again and again, e.g. with the February or March 2016 Windows 10 cumulative update package...

The only thing YOU can do is to vote with your feet and move to Linux or refuse to ascend from Win7 / 8.x to Win10. If enough customers walk out in protest, M$ execs will feel the financial pain and may re-think its 3rd party unfriendly IT-security strategy.

But Redmond apparently wants to evict 3rd party AV vendors, envious of the Apple Inc. way which actively bans security software from iOS.

(Speaking personally, I think only anglo-american AV vendors can remain on Win10 eventually, since the european and russian vendors are not subject to NSA desires and often unmask inconvenient state malware campaigns. America will try to make them untenable via a vicious circle of Win10 cumulative packages that break their compatibility second every month or so. )

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• jao0201

The thing is that Microsoft releases test versions of every release they do. So F-Secure might have had some time to fix things, unless this was caused by a last minute change by Microsoft.

• etomcat
    Dear Jao,

Recently, in a previous case, Microsoft modified Windows 10 with a hotfix in such a way that the installation mechanism used by the (SMB market related) FSAV PSB product setup became unsupported and a new method package had to made hastily.

Personally, I don't think these incidents happen randomly.

Best Regards: Tamas Feher.
  • RobertoSilvaChu
    RobertoSilvaChu W/ Alumni Posts: 33 Junior Protector

The corporate enduser will think:

If the antivirus is already removed, why I dont test another antivirus in this machine? This issue open a way to end user to check another antivirus solutions.

We know the F-Secure is one of the best antivirus, but the corporate user will check the balance between price and quality, so, he will test another solutions because the F-Secure is removed to all his Windows 10 machines.

Really I hope this isse is happening to anothers antivirus manufacturers also..

• Ben
    Ben W/ Alumni Posts: 664 Cybercrime Crusader

Hi,

In order to investigate better this issue, please open a support ticket and provide an fsdiag of an affected machine.

• RobertoSilvaChu

Already opened a ticket

Number: XXXXXXX
    Created: 2015-11-13
    Subject: After last major update (Windows 10) all F-Secure product is removed

EDIT:REMOVED PII

• jao0201

Thank you. I have opened a support case.

• jus-51
    jus-51 W/ Alumni Posts: 8 W/ Former Staff

This applies to PSB Workstation 10.60 as well. Tested with Windows 10 Pro upgrading to Windows 10 version 1511, 10586.

What to do:

- please do not apply upgrade to Windows 10 version 1511, 10586 yet before the issue is fixed

- but if did already, or for any reason cannot wait with upgrade, then please re-install the F-Secure product after the Windows upgrade

• DomusIT
    DomusIT W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

Hi! We've done about 10 upgrades now - all of them (except one) went fine by re-installing FSAVCS - but before the re-install can be done we have had to install "the second" compilation 1511 update to the machine = so please rescan for updates a couple of time after the upgrade to 1511 before trying the re-installation of FSAVCS.

Furthermore we had one machine where the re-installation was not succesfull no matter what we did - Hypothesis is that the MSI installer package with HTML-protocol scanning and Web-browser protection are not compatible with 1511 compilation - BUT when we exported an installer package without those features the re-installation worked.

(hope this helps someone)

DomusIT

• RobertoSilvaChu

@DomusIT wrote:

Hi! We've done about 10 upgrades now - all of them (except one) went fine by re-installing FSAVCS - but before the re-install can be done we have had to install "the second" compilation 1511 update to the machine = so please rescan for updates a couple of time after the upgrade to 1511 before trying the re-installation of FSAVCS.

Furthermore we had one machine where the re-installation was not succesfull no matter what we did - Hypothesis is that the MSI installer package with HTML-protocol scanning and Web-browser protection are not compatible with 1511 compilation - BUT when we exported an installer package without those features the re-installation worked.

(hope this helps someone)

DomusIT

Hi,

I dont think the HMTL in web-browser protection is the cause of this issue, because Microsoft put ALL F-Secure folder in Windows.old. I have a machine where have installed F-Secure Client Security Premium and F-Secure Freedome, both of applications gone to Windows.old (because freedome is inside F-Secure folder also). I belive the Windows keeps all registers keys of the application, just put F-Secure folder in Windows.old (because Microsoft dont have any F-Secure  uninstall tool). One thing I dont tested yet, is just copy F-Secure folder from Windows.old to C:\Program Files (x86) and check if its works.

• bkrateku
    bkrateku W/ Alumni Posts: 2 Security Scout

I noticed the update also uninstalled the RSAT tools on my machine, also.

• etomcat

Dear Peter,

Please make F-Secure release not just a hotfix, but also a new FSCS 12 installer build, with the hotfix contents baked into the full package.

Thanks in advance, Yours Sincerely: Tamas Feher, 2F 2000 Kft., Hungary.

• niepce
    niepce W/ Alumni Posts: 20 Security Scout

quote : According to Microsoft, current ETA for their fix is December 15th.

Is that fixed on the microsoft side already ?

• kottenp
    kottenp W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding this there still seems to be issues with Windows 10.

How do I verify that the client have the hotfix? (Would be good if this could be done remotly aswell)

Is F-Secure Software Updater (SWUP) a part of F-Secure client security premium?

Is it possible to force all clients to install the hotfix?

Regards

Pontus

This discussion has been closed.