PSB for Workstations - 12.00

NickJ
NickJ W/ Alumni Posts: 29 Security Scout

Hello,

I have installed version 12.00 of F-Secure PSB for Workstations on my Windows machine, and so far so good. It is nice to see that the interface matches the new portal well.

I do have a few questions, that I'm hoping someone will be able to answer for me:

1. The release notes say that the new portal will be released in March (so that could mean tomorrow?) please can you confirm when and how this will be managed? Specifically, how will the migration of profiles from the old portal to the new portal be handled?
  2. I see that this version is not supported on Windows XP. How long will 10.50 be supported on Windows XP systems? What will happen to these machines during the Channel upgrade? Will they receive a warning/popup saying that there is an upgrade available but it is not supported, or will the system continue to run 10.50 without any notices/disruption?
  3. Web content control. Reputation: I assume that a third party data source is used for site reputation? Please can you confirm the source(s) of this data?
  4. Web content control. Category: The release notes state that category definitions are available in the Admin Guide. I have checked the English version of the Admin Guide and can't find this information - has the Admin Guide been updated yet?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

I don't think there will be a new PSB portal per se? You could simply login to the same old site and suddenly it looks entirely new, with candy-colored tiles, 4D user interface, FB/Twitter/Instagram/NYSE integration and AI-based expert system help with animated avatar, etc?

It would be only logical that web content control (centralized parental control) will be just the same as in FSAV CS 12 Premium?

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• NickJ

Hi Tamas,

In the discussions that I have had with F-Secure previously, they have suggested that one option they were considering is to run the two portals alongside each other for a while and to have a button in the new portal where users can initiate the one way migration of their profiles to the new portal.

This was some time ago, so perhaps the thinking at F-Secure has changed and they are planning a "big bang" migration like you have suggested where one day it all suddenly changes. It would be good to know if this is the case, as I can at least inform my admins and get more of them using the beta portal so they are familiar with it.

I'm not familiar with the content control features of CS 12 - I will try to find the Admin Guide for that product and take a look.

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello,

> It would be only logical that web content control (centralized parental control) will be just the same as in FSAV CS 12 Premium?

Yes, it is the same.

Best regards,

Vad

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello NickJ,

> What will happen to XP machines during the Channel upgrade? Will they receive a warning/popup saying that there is an upgrade available but it is not supported, or will the system continue to run 10.50 without any notices/disruption?

XP machines will not receive any notifications/warnings/popups. The system will continue using currently installed PSB WKS 10.50/10.60.

EOL for this versions is not specified yet on our official website:

https://www.f-secure.com/documents/10192/406825/PSB+supported+version.pdf

Best regards,

Vad

• Ben
    Ben W/ Alumni Posts: 664 Cybercrime Crusader

Hi NickJ,

The new portal is released(GA) on 15th March. On GA date the old portal would have the link to the new portal on the login page.The users can try out the new portal. The users can use the new portal with their existing credentials. They could fully use it after they have migrated their profiles. The migration is done by the partner(Solution Provider user, with read, write rights). All instructions are mentioned in the profile section.F-Secure is notified of any possible errors during migration. After the migration the user can fully use the new portal, including the new setting supported by PSB WKS 12.00

Despite the information in the release notes, the information concerning the categories was not included in the admin-guide. You will be able to see the categories directly from the portal or as mentioned by Tamas in the client security 12 documentation, page 88.

• NickJ

Hi Ben,

That's really useful, thank you for that.

Nick

• PetriKuikka
    PetriKuikka W/ Member Posts: 236 Threat Terminator

Hi,

Ben already nicely summirized the schedule and how the 2 portals can be used at the same time. I'll just add that we will also upgrade the admin guides before the GA launch on 15th of March. So those guides will have the Web content control information included.

Petri

• PetriKuikka
    PetriKuikka W/ Member Posts: 236 Threat Terminator

Hi,

Release candidate of the new PSB portal is now available on PSB4 and it supports these new PSB Workstation Security 12.00 feature. Read more from this thread "New PSB portal release candidate is now available". Rest of the PSB 1, 2 and 3 will get it later this week or during next week.

Petri

This discussion has been closed.