PSB freedom

StevenGE
StevenGE W/ Alumni Posts: 11 Security Scout
Hello, I am using the Freedom service with our PSB. is it possible to have some granular information about the connections / threats blocked in the portal? thanks

Comments

• Ben
    Ben W/ Alumni Posts: 664 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello StevenGE, 

This is not currently an existing feature and is not planned in the foreseeable future. Note that end-user privacy concerns would need to be addressed in implementing such feature.

• StevenGE
    Hi, Thanks for you reply. On PSB Workstation Security if someone download a malicious file we get a notification and the source of the infected file. it would be nice to have the same on freedom. I don't think this does infringe more on privacy...
  • NickJ
    NickJ W/ Alumni Posts: 29 Security Scout

Ben - did you change the wording on your post? I thought that when I read it earlier it said that it wouldn't be implemented due to privacy concerns rather than the concerns would have to be addressed.

I agree with Steven, and I would go further to say that without full logging any security product is significantly impaired. This privacy stance seems to seperate F-Secure from the rest of the industry, where there is an understanding that businesses want full logs from any corporate device.

A pro-privacy, freedom fighter, 'hide from the feds' image may be useful in the consumer market, but I think F-Secure will find it damaging in the corporate market.

Products from other vendors are not limited in their functionality due to end-user privacy. My permiter security products, email security products, and web filtering products etc all provide the full and complete logs that help me to understand a security event.

Steven raises an interesting point that the lack of logging in Freedom is at odds with Client Security and PSB, where infection details are reported in full. If the end-user privacy/anti-logging stance makes it's way into corporate products, I would expect a lot of customers to look elsewhere.

I fear that this mentality is already making it's way into F-Secure's corporate products, because the new implementation of web filtering in PSB does not include any logging of blocked activity. It is early days for this feature in PSB so hopefully logs will be available at some point, but I suspect that it is an example of F-Secure's overly consumer focussed privacy mindset.

• StevenGE
    Thanks Nick for the follow up. I think this is the main difference between home products and pro/entreprise products. as an enterprise it is important for me to be able to setup correctly my security software and be able to check/verify/analyse the events. Epecially if we concider the Freedom as an AV/Firewall/IPS product, we need to seel logs of the activity (and also edit/customize the settings...) I hope these functions will come n the pipeline
This discussion has been closed.