Antivirus for Workstations - Migration to Client Security.

SMunken
SMunken W/ Alumni Posts: 10 Security Scout

Hi,

Since Antivirus for Workstations will get no more updates i need to migrate to Client Security.

How would one go about doing that??

We have about 3500 machines with Antivirus for Workstations - at 200 different locations - in different domains, workgroups - with different users, passwords etc. which means Push Install is out of the question.. 

I see no option to upgrade Antivirus for Workstations to Client Security.

Have i missed something?

Regards

Simon Munk

Comments

• Hi,

perhaps one solution can be installation over your software delivery system (I guess you have one when you have 3500 client systems) ... create an MSI file and use this ...

just in case ... in the F-Secure policy Manager - select Tools / Instalation Packages / fscs-12.10.jar and select Export

Regards

Robert

• aimutch
    aimutch W/ Member Posts: 28 Junior Protector

You can do this within the Policy Manager at the various policy domain levels. Once you've imported the JAR file, make sure you are in "Advanced Mode", select the policy domain you want to upgrade and go to the "Installation" tab. At the bottom left is a button labeled "Install". You can then run the install to upgrade to Client Security from there. It follows the same process as if you were updating the client using the "upgrade" option. I've done about 75 PCs this way but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work at whatever scale you need to do it. A few notes:

- There's now a 12.10 version of Client Security

- You need to upgrade the Policy Manager to 12.10 to deploy 12.10 of Client Security

- In my experience contacting tech support, not all of the techs are aware of this method for migrating from AV for Workstations to Client Security.

Good luck!

• SMunken
    SMunken W/ Alumni Posts: 10 Security Scout

Hi again,

I never thought of the "Install" button.. Well i didn't really need it before now. That has helped me a bit the last couple of weeks.

There are some pretty big downsides to using this method though.

It will install on clients which have already gotten 12.10. This seems ridiculous. I can't see why it should do that.. And i'm also having problems with clients not getting the latest policy on install. I have seen as long as 60 minutes wait times before the latest policies where applied - Firewall rules, Application Control etc. You can of course manually press the "Control Now" button in Central Administration but i'm not gonna do that on 300+ machines. Furthermore you can only select one Domain at a time - We have 200+ domains. 

If no other way is to be found i'll have to get a snapshot of the server -> collect all old versions in one domain -> upgrade -> revert server. I really don't want to do that as a solution to this problem..

I am in contact with F-Secure support i just feel others should know.

Regards

Simon Munk

• aimutch
    aimutch W/ Member Posts: 28 Junior Protector

Thanks for the update. I've run into the same problem with it re-installing 12.10 over an existing 12.10 install. I've never had that problem with F-Secure products so that's a bit baffling to me why that's happening. I didn't contact support about that problem. We only have about 10 domains so this was a workable number for me. But I can see why it wasn't for you.

Although not ideal, the "Install" approach was at least a possible solution. The first tech support interaction I had with F-Secure claimed that there simply wasn't any upgrade path from AV for Workstations 11 to Client Security, which I learned was not the case. I'm surprised that F-Secure didn't provide a better upgrade approach from AV for Workstations to Client Security knowing that a lot of customers would have to go that route. 

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

> I have seen as long as 60 minutes wait times before the latest policies where applied - Firewall rules, Application Control etc. You can of course manually press the "Control Now" button in Central Administration but i'm not gonna do that on 300+ machines. <

The latest version of F-Secure Policy Manager and F-Secure Client Security now supports a novel form of real-time communications for the centralized management, so there is no more waiting for connection. However, it is necessary to adjust the registry to activate it.

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

This discussion has been closed.