High cpu utilization after upgrade to 12.10

coyote
coyote W/ Alumni Posts: 8 Junior Protector

After upgrade from pms 12.0 to 12.10 java process on server ( fspms) uses permanenty above 16% of CPU. Before upgrade it was much less. PMS manages only 70 stations, such a utilization is all the time, no changes. SLES linux 11 SP4 on virtual machine, 1 CPU, 3GB ram. How find out what is happening?

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

> 1 CPU

2 cores are recommended.

> 3GB ram

This should be a 32-bit operating system. The 64-bit system doesn't make sense with less than 4GB of RAM, because 64 bit program codes take up a lot of space.

> How find out what is happening?

There is a built-in diagnostic and support data collection tool, called FSDIAG in F-Secure products or you can download it separately  from here:

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/support/tools/fsdiag/linux/

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• Hari-Seldon
    Hari-Seldon W/ Alumni Posts: 5 Security Scout

I have the very same problem. My machine is an OpenVZ containter with debian 7 32bit. I tried a fresh install on a different container and it shows the same issue.

Here you can download my fsdiag.tar.gz

https://owncloud.cgil.tn.it/index.php/s/AWZNFydM8uJj1gr

• dandelion
    dandelion W/ Alumni Posts: 31 Junior Protector

Hello, 

we're currently investigating the problem that in certain environments PMS process can show some unexpected CPU usage. The workaround for now, if the system becomes too loaded, is to add more CPU units  to the virtual machine. 

• Hari-Seldon
    Thanks. I did that. I'll follow this thread for updates on this issue.
  • coyote

Thank you for answer,

I assign second CPU and extend ram to 4Gb. Generally it didn't change situation. Still java process uses hi amount of CPu. Fortunately my system is not overloaded.

• etomcat

Dear Dandelion,

Have found out the problem's cause during the investigation? Will there be a hotfix for the unusually heavy resource usage problem?

Thanks in advance, Yours Sincerely:

Tamas Feher, 2F 2000 Kft., Hungary.

• dandelion

As of now, we are in the process of tracking down the root cause. 

The load tests reveal that, although PMS process may under certain conditions show abnormal CPU activity, it does it "softly" in a way that it doesn't affect the overall system performance. 

However, we realize that this behavior is not appropriate and wer're currently working on solving this problem. 

• etomcat

Hello,

We would like to receive a status update concerning this issue. Have you been able to find the root cause and/or create a remedy for the problem?

Thanks in advance: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• dandelion

Hi, we've found the problem and are working on a hotfix currently.

Approximately, it will be available in a week or two.

• etomcat

Dear Dandelion,

> Approximately, it will be available in a week or two.

Is it possible to give a fixed date for hotfix availability?

How will you distribute it, with a new PSM full install kit, fsfix hotfix file or a push via the automatic channel?

Thanks in advance, Yours Sincerely:

Tamas Feher, 2F 2000 Kft., Hungary.

• asanka
    asanka W/ Alumni Posts: 49 Security Scout

Dear dandelion,

Any update on this?

Thanks

• dandelion

The hotfix will be ready by the end of this week. The hotfix is planned as a ZIP archive that will contain files to replace those in PM 12.10 installations. The instruction will be provided.

• asanka

Thanks

• dandelion

Dear readers, 

I'd like to inform you that the hotfix that addresses the problem has been released for public use.

Please download it from: 

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/business_global/downloads/policy-manager-for-linux/latest

Please read the instruction before applying the hotfix. 

• coyote

Hotfix applied! Now it works much better. Use of CPU reduced from permanently 25% to 3%.

Thank you very much.

Coyote

• asanka

Dear dandelion,

Thanks for the fix.today i experienced high utilization on a windows server.f-secure policy manger is the culprit.do you have any solution to this issue?

Thanks

vm1.pngvm2.pngvm3.png

• dandelion

It's hard to tell what caused 100% CPU on Windows in your case. Was that load temporary or sustained for a long time? Anyway, if this problem persists, please contact the technical support. 

@asanka wrote:

Dear dandelion,

Thanks for the fix.today i experienced high utilization on a windows server.f-secure policy manger is the culprit.do you have any solution to this issue?

Thanks

• Hari-Seldon

Thanks. I can confirm that the problem is solved in my installation too.

• etomcat

Hello,

I do think the extremely high CPU and RAM usage problem of FSPM 12.10 also affects the Windows Server platform, not just Linux. I have seen prolonged 95-100% CPU for hours, especially with virtualized Windows 2008. An FSPM hotfix should probably be made for the Microsoft platform as well.

Anyhow, it is difficult to explain to customers why only the Linux platform received a hotfix, considering that FSPM is platform independent / Java based.

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, 2F 2000 Kft., Hungary.

• dandelion

Tamas, 

even though FSPM is Java-based, there are still some platform-dependent operating system services it uses, including thread scheduling, which was the root cause in this case. 

You can try the hotfix on one of the Windows platfroms that struggle with 100% load, the hotfix itself is platform independent, and its installation on Windows is pretty straightforward: use the Linux instruction as the reference. 

However, we haven't yet received any reports from the real environments that would indicate the problem on Windows platforms, so I can't assure you that the hotfix would fix the problem you are experiencing. Please contact F-Secure support if you need any further assistance. 

This discussion has been closed.