PSB version upgrade - possibility to force update?

TKV
TKV W/ Alumni Posts: 6 Security Scout

We are installing our new desktops with version 12 PSB and it works fine for our use. We would like to have the same version on all of our workstations to simplify management and problem solving, unfortunately at the moment we are living with three versions of PSB (10.5, 10.6 and 12). 

Is there an existing way to force client software version upgrade? Or is there one in the works. I know the changes between 10.5 and 10.6 are minor but it still seems odd that we are living with three generations of the product.

I know that we could force the upgrade with msi packages and 3rd party management tools / Group policies but that seems to be counter productive as PSB does have its own management console.

Comments

• NickJ
    NickJ W/ Alumni Posts: 29 Security Scout

Hi TKV,

F-Secure do provide the "Remote Installation Tool" (it can be downloaded from the PSB portal). You  can use this tool to upgrade clients on your LAN. This tool has a dependency on the Remote Registry service, but it does work well. I haven't used it to upgrade clients to v12 but I have used it in the past for older versions of PSB.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to manage this through the portal.

I wouldn't worry too much about running 10.5 and 10.6 - as far as I am aware, the only differences there are for the Windows 10 installation procedure. If 10.5 is working, there is no need to update to 10.6.

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello TKV,

We've released the latest version 12.01 recently. This version will be proposed for upgrade from the channel for versions 10.50, 10.60 and 12.00 in the near future.

The  feature, which will provide a possibility for admins to manage channel upgrade procedure from PSB portal, is present in our plans for the future.

Best regards,

Vad

• PaulM
    PaulM W/ Alumni Posts: 2 Security Scout
    Hi. Is there any update on this please, as I'm faced with nearly 3,500 machines to get upgraded to latest version - most of which now require upgrading from old version 9 and 10. Many thanks Paul
  • Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello PaulM,

Unfortunately, there is no exact date for the forcing update from the portal UI feature yet.

We are investigating the possibility to enable direct upgrade from old versions 9-10 to latest 12.01, but, in most cases, it leads to some critical issues. I will comment here as soon as we'll have any news.

Best regards,

Vad

• PaulM
    PaulM W/ Alumni Posts: 2 Security Scout
    Many thanks for the very quick reply Vad. I take it from your mention of problems with upgrading direct from 9/10 to 12, I should uninstall the old versions first then? I will look at scripting something within our N-able RMM suite that can carry out the removal and then silent install of the latest version. Regards Paul
This discussion has been closed.