chrome extensions crash

Hi

I am running a F-secure PSB workstation PSB version 12.01 on an windows 10 pro machine

I have enable browser protection for both internet explorer and chrome

Internet explorer is working find, but Google chrome keep crashing the extensions first time after a restart of the machine, some times Google chrome is working find after a restart of the machine, but in 3/5 times the extensions in chrome crash during start of chrome browser

I have following extensions install in chrome : Standard Google chrome + Browsing protection by F-secure and  Blue Jeans Meeting

/Jan

Comments

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello Jan,

Please, contact support. We need more information about affected machines for investigation.

Best regards,

Vad

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

This news story could possibly be related to the sudden emergence of this incompatibility problem?

https://it.slashdot.org/story/17/01/11/218254/latest-adobe-acrobat-reader-update-silently-installs-chrome-extension

Latest Adobe Acrobat Reader Update Silently Installs Chrome Extension for Anonymous Data Collection

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• etomcat

Dear Vad,

> PSB workstation PSB version 12.01 on Win10, enabled browser protection, Chrome keep crashing the extensions

We need urgent information, please tell us if this is a known problem and if this issue is already fixed?

I can not contact support before I receive that information.

Thanks in advance, Yours Sincerely:

Tamas Feher, 2F 2000 Kft., Hungary.

• Vad

Hello Tamas,

The problem is reproduced locally, and is currently in process of investigation. I will update here as soon as we'll have more information.

Best regards,

Vad

• Vad

Hello all,

We've identified the root cause of the issue, and are currently working on a fix.

Best regards,

Vad

• etomcat

Dear Vad,

> We've identified the root cause of the issue

Thanks for the head-up!

> currently working on a fix

I assume the advanced "Backweb" infrastructure would allow such a hotfix file to be distributed to all PSB endpoint computers (as part of the daily automatic virus signature updates) so the customers won't have to perform any action to restore correct operation?

Yours Sincerely: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• TerjeF
    TerjeF W/ Alumni Posts: 5 Security Scout

Hi,

Many of my customers and my self included are experiencing this problem.

Any update? It started sometime in November/December.

• Baws
    Baws W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

We face the same issue

• Vad

Hello,

Yes, F-Secure Network Interception Framework Update 2017-02-08_01 update was published a week ago, and it should prevent new incidents with Chrome crashes.

But, unfortunately, it may not fix the problem, if it already exists, in all cases.

Please, contact support for instructions how to fix crashes manually, if some of your machines are still affected.

Sorry for possible inconveniences.

Best regards,

Vad

• Vad

Hello all,

We've got several reports that Chrome crashes appear immediately after upgrade to Client Security Premium 12.30.

The workaround for this issue is not to launch Chrome browser immediately after restart of upgraded machine, and wait until Network Interception Framework update will be installed.

Meanwhile, we are currently preparing CS 12.31 maintenance release, which will have the fix in the package, and will be free of such issue.

Best regards,

Vad

• etomcat

Dear Vad,

> Meanwhile, we are currently preparing CS 12.31 maintenance release, which will have the fix in the package

Thanks for the info! However, we wish to inquire about ETA for such a maintenance release?

Thanks in advance, Yours Sincerely:

Tamas Feher, 2F 2000 Kft., Budapest, Hungary.

• Vad

Hello Tamas,

Unfortunately, the initial idea with including fixed NIF binaries in CS 12.31 installation package doesn't help to avoid the Browser Plugin crash after upgrade. 40% of our Beta group were affected, and the workaround is one more restart of the machine. Because of that CS 12.31 release was postponed. Now we are investigating what else could be done to improve the situation.

Best regards,

Vad

• comalley
    comalley W/ Alumni Posts: 5 Security Scout

Many of our users keep the Chrome installer on their Desktop so that they can simply reinstall Chrome every time this happens. Fortunately this doesn't cause them to lose their bookmarks etc.

However, it's been an annoyance now for 6+ months.

Above you reference contacting support for manual steps to fix this. Why not post the steps here to save myself and others the 2-day wait for a reply (as is my experience with uncleaned virus submissions).

When your software is breaking the world's most popular browser on your users' PCs, and has been doing so for 6+ months, that is a serious issue that should be getting a lot of your attention. This thread is about the only resource available regarding this.

Thanks for your time.

• Vad

Hello all,

Short status update. Latest version 5 of PSB Workstation Security 12.01 contains fixed Chrome Browsing Protection extension installation procedure, which should eliminate the crashes after PSB product clean install.

Unfortunately, until now, we failed to find out how our product could affect random Chrome crashes happening after Windows 10 update/restart. Our tests show random crashes of F-Secure Browsing Protection extension, as well as crashes of other 3-rd party extensions, or just grayed browser window without mentioning any extension crash.

Google search shows, that Chrome crashes on Windows 10 start-up happen without F-Secure product onboard as well. For example: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/9BVg6Wa6DEU

We will continue investigation, and comment here as soon as we'll have any update.

Best regards,

Vad

• farmersLSD
    farmersLSD W/ Alumni Posts: 26 Security Scout

Installed F-Secure 12.31 on two machines last night, both had the Chrome crashes today.  We have been running Windows 10 all year with no issues until the F-Secure installs.  I have been having this issue intermittently on my machine and another in my office for last two months or so.  It will go two weeks with no issues then do this two days in a row.

Windows 10 1703 on two machines and 1511 on the other two.

• Vad

Hello farmersLSD,

I have few clarification questions, if i may.

1. Do you have Client Security 12.31 Standard or Premium?

2. If you have Premium version, did you have any other 3-rd party Chrome extensions on your machines (those, which didn't crash for a year), before you install our product?

Thanks in advance,

Vad

• Remydu30
    Remydu30 W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

Hello have you released a update that bug leveland?

• farmersLSD

1.  Client Security 12.31 Premium

2.  I have several on my machine.  One account that we tested with had none.  One was a fresh profiles on that machines.  Not even sure he had ever logged in.  It was an administrative account, so he travels to different machines, but doesn't log into Chrome or install extensions.  The other was a teacher, but not sure how many extensions she had. 

• farmersLSD
    To add to this, one of the teacher machines worked after reinstalling Chrome over existing, but was crashing again this morning after login.

-Thursday April 25th, 2017 was working fine, installed F-Secure, was broken.
    -Disabled browser protection and connection control, reinstalled Chrome, everything fine.
    -Tuesday 30th, 2017, she come in and tries opening Chrome. Chrome has grey background and extensions crashing again.
    -Reinstall Chrome, everything is fine.
  • Vad

Hello farmersLSD,

Thank you for the details. We are investigating this issue with priority, and will comment here as soon as we have any news.

Best regards,

Vad

• Tholyir
    Tholyir W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

Same Here,

- Today got againt chrome crash (grey screen)

- Ran chrome with --no-sandbox (no crash)

- Ran again without --no-sandbox argument (still crashing)

- Ran chrome again with --no-sandbox, got to setting -> information, got it update itself

- Ran chrome againt without --no-sandbox argument

- voilà it's working!

• comalley

Does anyone know if there is a known good way to:

1) not have this happen when setting up a new or wiped computer, i.e. is this 100% fixed in this "blank slate" scenario with the changes already made... or do you have to install F-Secure PSB Workstation and Chrome in a certain order etc?

2) stop this from happening for users that experience this regularly (the ones who have to reinstall Chrome all the time), i.e. can you uninstall both apps and reinstall in a certain way/order that will stop Chrome from dying?

Thank you!

• etomcat

Hello,

Please note that a new F-Secure web knowledge base article has been published concerning this topic:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Known-Issues-in/F-Secure-Browser-plugin-causing/td-p/95250

"F-Secure Browser plugin causing Google Chrome to crash in our corporate products"

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• farmersLSD

We have the plugin disabled and still see this.  It's also disabled in the policy.  These are on existing installs, though.  not sure about completely clean installs.  The machines we're imaging now aren't being used as we're on summer break at school.    I believe I even uninstalled the plugin on my machine, but will have to check. 

Reinstalling Chrome fixes it temporarily, but it's happened 5 times in 2 months on my machine.

Using Business Premium.

• Cnet_16
    Cnet_16 W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

While the Hotfix is in testing, is there a way for us to centrally disable/remove the Chrome plugin/extension via Profiles instead of doing it on all the machines or instructing the not so tech-savvy users with the removal?

Thanks.

• Vad

Hello Cnet_16,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to disable the Chrome extension from the portal. It could be done only from browser.

Actually Browsing Protection extension is not a victim. According to our latest findings periodical crashes appear due to interoperability issues between F-Secure Internet Shield and Chrome Sandbox feature.

Best regards,

Vad

• comalley

I agree with Vad.

Disabling Browsing Protection was of course one of the first things I tried back in December and it doesn't help at all. This issue thread is sort of badly-named because the issue stops Chrome from loading any content whatsoever, including its built-in admin web pages like chrome://settings/ and so on.

You don't always even get a this-or-that extension has crashed message. At one time you'd often see that type of message.

Tell those affected to keep the Chrome installer handy. It takes 30 seconds to reinstall it if you don't have to go looking for it. I guess that using the download manager will ensure they always get the latest Chrome at that point as opposed to using a possibly-stale offline installer. Here is the 64-bit install manager that fetches the installer with the "don't send usage stats to Google option"

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/thankyou.html?platform=win64

• etomcat

Hello Vad,

> periodical crashes appear due to interoperability issues between F-Secure Internet Shield and Chrome Sandbox feature

Can we assume this problem means the Internet Shield (Distributed Firewall) module will be removed from the FSAV corporate and SMB product lines, just like it was dropped from the FSIS home user and SOHO product?

Yours Sincerely: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• Vad

Hello Tamas,

We already have a Firewall hotfix for released products. BTW, everybody can get it from support for checking. We will be happy to get as much feedback as possible.

So, this issue will not influence on the presence of Firewall in future releases.

Best regards,

Vad

This discussion has been closed.