To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

HOW TO ENABLE AUTO SCANNING OF EXTERNAL CD/DVD WHEN INSERTED

Options
ravi12
ravi12 W/ Alumni Posts: 57 Security Scout

Hi to all

Is there any setting for enabling auto scanning of any external CD/DVD media when insereted through F-Secure Policy Manger Console. 

Please advise.

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master
    Options

Hello,

> enabling auto scanning of any external CD/DVD media when insereted

What would you like?

- Scan of autorun related functionality?

I think F-Secure has always done that by default, because it means only a few kilobytes needs to be scanned so it doesn't incur much performance penalty.

- Scan of all content on optical disc?

That option would be problematic performace-wise, because a Blu-Ray disc or a dual-layer DVD can have 9 to 50 GB of data, which would take almost forever to scan, especially if the content is compressed. For example let's assume an optical disc full of zipped software installer kits, where the archives need to be unpacked by the antivirus engine before they can be scanned for malware. Essentially the computer would seem to be frozen for hours before that task finishes, if ever.

I such a case I would recommend to establish physical security at the perimeter and set up a dedicated Linux-based computer with FSAV Linux Security, to do on-demand virus scans of any optical discs entering the company premises.

You could configure FSAV to print the result on conclusion of scan and load the printer with envelopes, so the disc could be placed into a sealed envelope after scanning, with the resulting safe or dangerous verdict clearly visible on the outside.

Best Regards: Tamas Feher.

This discussion has been closed.

Categories