To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

How to manage Firewall settings for "Domain Networks"?

Options
aimutch
aimutch W/ Member Posts: 28 Junior Protector

We have the "Domain Networks" in the Windows Firewall disabled. With the installation of the 14.x client, F-Secure has re-enabled that on Windows computers running Windows 7 and 10. How do we selectively disable the "Domain Networks" firewall setting while leaving the rest enabled? I noticed that if I disabled the firewall setting in F-Secure, it disabled all the 3 firewall locations in Windows. 

Comments

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    Options

Don't do that, dont try that.
    It is a bad idea and lowering your security signifcantly.

What is the reason, that you wanted to switch off domain firewall?

Rethink your firewall usage. F-Secure can switch between different profiles. While I do strongly recommend not to do so you could create an "allow all" profile. Try to use the Office profile first!

Configure to only use F-Secure firewall (Ingnore all Firewall rules not listed in this profile).

• aimutch
    aimutch W/ Member Posts: 28 Junior Protector
    Options

I appreciate the concern for our network security but that doesn't really answer my question. Is it not possible to control how F-Secure is manipulating the Windows Firewall settings? 

When I read the release notes for version 14 of the client and it said that it was eliminating the use of the F-Secure firewall and relying on the Windows firewall, no where did it say that it intended to take control of the Windows firewall settings. Nor did I expect it to hijack the Windows firewall settings and change them from what we had configured. That's bad behavior, if you ask me. Likewise, I didn't expect that by trying to turn off F-Secure's manipulation of the firewall settings that it would turn off all the firewall settings, even those that had been previously enabled. At the least, F-Secure should have made this clear in the release notes. The implementation of this seems to not have been thought through from the customer perspective. 

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    Options

You misunderstand the concept.

If you do not want Windows to add any rules to the firewall you have to disable them in the F-Secure configuration ("Ingnore all Firewall rules not listed in this profile").

F-Secure firewall rules are independant from Windows so that they can not be tampered with.
    a "Firewall OFF" is realised by a "bypass all" (AFAIK same as windows does it).

So create a BypassAll-profile and use AutoSelection to switch the profile.
    Clipboard01.gif

Still I recommend NOT to disable local firewall n neither situation.

This discussion has been closed.