To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

Launch Scan After Update

Options
timothee
timothee W/ Alumni Posts: 4 Security Scout

I'm trying to set an automatic launch scan after an virus definition update in my F-Secure Policy Manager.

I saw in your How-to & FAQs that there is an option in the PM settings to launch a scan after an update.
(https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Business/Understanding-the-Launch-Scan/ta-p/21016?collapse_discussion=true&page=2&q=after%20update&search_type=thread)

This option is suppose to be in F-Secure Anti-Virus > Settings > Virus Definition Updates > Launch Scan After Update.
But as you can see on pictures attached, this option is only present in F-Secure Linux Security > Virus Database Updates > Launch Scan After Update (Object identifier : 1.3.6.1.4.1.2213.45.2.30.30) but not in F-Secure Anti-Virus > Settings > Virus Definition Updates, where there is just "Alert Administrator when Virus Definitions Are Old".

So I would like to know if it's possible to set a Launch Scan after an update and where is this option.

PS : I use F-Secure Policy Manager 14.01.87207 and F-Secure Client Security

Thanks in advance.

Timothée

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Comments

• Sethu Laks
    Sethu Laks W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 250 Moderator
    Options

Hello @timothee 

No, the settings " Launch Scan after an update" no longer available since F-secure Client Security 13.x due to new Ultralight's scanning engines which are light-weight, cloud-based design and performance improvements. Our ultralight engine does not perform any special scans after updates. Meaning, the new scanning engine would be enough to make all necessary re-scans on its own, so there is no need for option anymore. 

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master
    Options

Hi,
    could you elaborate on why you need that option?

Manual scans  with a detection rate of 65% on new (today's) malware are a useless waste of performance, energy and time. F-Secure is publishing several updates a day andif you launch a scan on each of them this will lead to F-Secure constantly scanning.

After the updates have been taken into use, the gatekeeper is monitoring each fileaccess using those. So when ever the OS touches a file it will be scanned. There is no security problem if the scan only happens right before loading. Even more important, in this moment the other modules like behavioural analysis, sandboxing aso. also get active and cover the remaining 35%.

I recommend to NOT do scheduled/automated scans. They only give a false good feeling accompanied by bad feelings for bad performance and CO2-footprint, but add no better security.

M.

This discussion has been closed.

Categories