To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

Backups Suddenly failing on access.log

Options
matt-v
matt-v W/ Alumni Posts: 3 Security Scout

Hi our backups have suddenly started to fail every night on veryfy of C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Management Server 5\logs\access.log

This normally means that the file is open but I don't know why this file is suddenly is use during our backup window.. (8pm until approx 5am).

We use Symantec Backup Exec.

This problem seems to have been caused after a power cut over the weekend, but again I'm not sure why this would cause this file to be in use.

Is there any way of tracking down what is writing to this log? If not are we ok to exclude these logs from the backup routine? (would they be needed in the event of recovering the server?)

Many thanks

Matt

Comments

• matt-v
    Options

Thanks Jari, we are currently using Policy manager 9, the problem just started out of the blue about a week ago (we have been using the same backup procedure, with this software, for well over a year... Could it still be the same problem?

If i do exclude F-Secure should I just exclude the C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Management Server 5 or the whole of the C:\Program Files\F-Secure directory?

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

• Jari-P
    Jari-P W/ Alumni Posts: 35 Cyber Knight
    Options

Hi matt-v,

Still on the version 9 it's recommended to stop PMS services during the backup. You should exclude following folder from the backup application C:\Program Files\F-Secure\Management Server 5.

You can find correct backup procedure from the PMS 9 manual. Here is the link for the manual:

http://www.f-secure.com/en/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=ec812251-1c72-4005-8cd3-78eadd1d56e7&groupId=30743

• matt-v
    Options

That's fantastic, thank you very much!

This discussion has been closed.