To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

F-secure MSG

Raed
Raed Posts: 8 Security Scout

F-secure team

I need ot know if the Encryption using F-secure MSG can be for internal and external Emails , and what if customer has another email security solution and he wants Internal and external encryption can we purshase F-secure MSG for this

thanks,

Raed

Comments

• Jayson
    Jayson Posts: 106 Firewall Master

Hi Raed,

Yes, the e-mail Encryption secures outbound and inbound email messages. The videoclips below will show you how it works.

How to send an encrypted email?

How to read and reply to an encrypted message?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Raed

Dear Jayson,

what we meant by internal emails is not incoming emails only. we mean sending an encrypted email from an internal user in the domain to another internal user in the same domain under same company. 

1. does this internal email passes through msg? Because in some cases like exchange server, the internal email doesn't passby Antispam solution

2. if encryption is applied to internal emails, does it require a seperate license for internal emails encryption on top to encryption license required for outgoing emails to external email servers (external recepients in other domains)

Regards,

raed

• Jayson

Hi Raed,

Yes, the E-mail Encryption is working for both internal and external recipients.

The E-mail Encryption is based on the concept that encryption keys are managed separately from the content they encrypt. Keys are generated on the Messaging Security Gateway and stored on a centralized E-mail Encryption key server.

As far as I know, it doesn't required extra license to use the Encryption for both routes. I would suggest you to contact our Sales for further clarification on the licensing query.  

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Raed

Hi Jayson

can u plz asnwer my quesries below on the earliest

Does MSG encrypted internal emails (emails circulating between employees under same domain passing through exchange)?

-          If yes, how can this been done and where to place MSG box to accomplish the same?

-          I read about as service at the external user end that allows him to send encrypted emails to the customer having MSG in place. How can this be configured and how does it work?

-          If the external user received an encrypted email from a customer having MSG, after opening this encrypted email, will the email reside in external inbox unencrypted?

-          Or does the email stay encrypted and every time the receiver wants to open it he has to un-encrypt it?

• Costas-Inter
    Costas-Inter Posts: 35 Security Scout

-          I read about as service at the external user end that allows him to send encrypted emails to the customer having MSG in place. How can this be configured and how does it work?

The external user connects to the end-user portal, logs-in, and then compose his message to the internal user. The external user uses the fsmsg end-user portal as webmail portal, not from his email client. The communication between external user and fsmsg is HTTPS so encrypted.

-          If the external user received an encrypted email from a customer having MSG, after opening this encrypted email, will the email reside in external inbox unencrypted?

- No the message still remains an encrypted attachment in his inbox. The easiest way for the external user to get his message un-encrypted is to 'save page as' in his browser, while viewing the message.

- Exactly! and he has to login so his browser receives the decryption keys.

Hope I helped

Costas

• Raed

Hi Costas

Can u plzasnwer my the below quesries

Possible to send encrypted emails to other external parties?

- Can you limit the external people sending emails using MSG interface?

- Possibilities to create a rule on the exchange server to route internal emails through the msg?

• Costas-Inter
    Costas-Inter Posts: 35 Security Scout

Hello

Possible to send encrypted emails to other external parties?

Yes

- Can you limit the external people sending emails using MSG interface?

Yes.

1. Put them in a user group

2. For this group assign a new Outbound/Encryption/Response profile

3. In this new Encryption/Profile make the necessary changes (see online help for details)

- 'Allow new emails send' (make sure you disable this on default system reponse profile)

- Allow/Disable forward, replies, etc.

- Possibilities to create a rule on the exchange server to route internal emails through the msg?

I'm no Exchange expert, but I guess it's possible (I don't know further details).

I know that Proofpoint has also an Outlook client plugin-button. I don't know if this is available via FSMSG also. See your sales (engineer) representative.

Regards

Costas

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

Can you help me with some comparison of F-Secure Proofpoint MSGW and the Barracuda appliances, with regards to SMTP virus/spam scan (also HTTP scan if anyone has already done that with the MSGW)? I would welcome battlecars, but rather some deeper opinion or real-world experiences.

I heard Barracuda is cheap and licenced per beige box, rather than per user and enjoys widespread adoption. On the other hand some says the products looks smooth on the outside, but day-to-day experience and performance/capacity is not that great.

What competitive aspect could justify the higher priced appliance solutions, like the F-Secure's PPS MSGW, when we are thinking about potential customers with a few thousand users at maximum (not 25-100k user enterprises)?

Thanks in advance, Sincerely: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• Jayson

Hi Tamas,

Please check your private message and also Protection Service for Email.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

> Please check your private message and also Protection Service for Email.

Thanks but I think PSE is cloud, which means people run away scared on the slightest mention.

(There was that Snowden guy who leaked whatever you send up the net, it goes down the deep throat of NSA. Cloud is probably a cursed word for 4-5 years.)

Sincerely: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

This discussion has been closed.

Categories