To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

F-secure Client Security 12 - Windows 10 installation problem

Options
MikiSriki
MikiSriki W/ Alumni Posts: 3 Security Scout
Dear F-Secure!

I have problem with installation F-Secure Client Security 12 on Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit fresh install.

After installation I have in Control Panel lines: F-Secure Client Security 12.00 size only 1,09 MB

In Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory for F-secure is missing.

I have done:
1. Using Uninstallation tool and re-installation F-Secure again - no effect
2. Uninstall Microsoft's cumulative update KB3093266, reinstall F-secure - no effect
3. Disabling Windows Defender and reinstall - no effect

In 11.60 situation is the same.

Best regards

Miki

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master
    Options

Hello Miki,

Windows 10 Enterprise's "Device Guard" mode is currently unsupported in F-Secure products.

Other possibility is when you created the install package from .JAR, you ticked the "Offload Scanning Agent" option without implementing a corresponding "F-Secure SRS" appliance. That is a common gaffe, because F-Secure gives zero warning if you do so, it just won't work.

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• MikiSriki
    Options
    Thank you!
    I use package name fscs-12.00.648.jar. I have marked when exporting to msi file:

Virus and Spyware Protection (cannot unmark)
    Deep Guard mark and unmark for test - no effect
    E-mail scanning
    Web traffic scanning
    Internet Shield 
    Browsing protection
    Device control
    Microsoft NAP plug-in not marked
    Offload Scanning Agent mark and unmark for test - no effect

Effect is the same

I cannot see option for "F-Secure SRS".

• etomcat
    Options

Hello Miki,

> I cannot see option for F-Secure SRS

The "F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server" is a separate virtual machine (Linux based appliance)

Note: the F-Secure Client Security - Offload Scanning Agent option and the F-Secure SRS server CANNOT be used with any physical computers, they are exclusively made for protecting virtualized systems!

• MikiSriki
    Options

Ok, thank you!

When f-secure 12 client security will be supported by windows 10 enterprise?

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader
    Options

Hello Miki,

Windows 10 Enterprise is supported by CS 12.00 in general. Windows 10 Enterprise feature Device Guard is not supported, but even in that case there should be something in Program Files\F-Secure folder after installation.

> After installation I have in Control Panel lines: F-Secure Client Security 12.00 size only 1,09 MB

This is not a correct indicator of success/fail of the installation. Do you have F-Secure icon in tray after installation?

If not, please, contact support. We'll need to check F-Secure installation logs to find the root.

Possibly, you have some competitor product installed on your machine, which can't be removed automatically by our installation, and because of that you don't get our product installed. Installation logs have this information.

Best regards,

Vad

• Patte
    Patte W/ Alumni Posts: 7 Security Scout
    Options

Hello everyone,

I have a problem to install the client security software on a Windows 10 Pro. During my research to find a solution, I found this thread. Its nearly the same problem.
    At the moment I running a Windows 10 Pro - 32Bit Version as a virtual machine (VirtualBox) to test Windows 10 before I deploy it in our network.

First I installed F-Secure Antivirus with a self build msi file. It didnt work because Antivirus doesn't support Windows 10.

Than I found the information, that now I have to use F-Secure Client Security:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Business/Antivirus-for-Workstations/m-p/76078/highlight/true#M4780

I downloaded the latest version of Client Security (fscs-12.00.648.jar) and built up a new msi package with the F-Secure Policy Manager 11.31 and enabled only anti virus protection (email scanning, internet shield, DeepGuard etc. are disabled).

I uninstalled F-Secure Antivirus with the UninstallationTool.exe and did a restart.

Before I started the installation, Windows asked me, if I really want to install a app from an unknown publisher -> maybe a problem with the signature of F-Secure???

The installation tooks only a few seconds and I got the message that the Client Security is installed.

The system (Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features) shows me that F-Secure Client Securtiy 12.00 is installed but the size of the installation is only 1.09 MB like by MikiSriki.

But there is no installation folder of F-Secure in the explorer "C:\Program Files\" .

I checked the event logs but there was no error messages and only found this entries:

Source: MsiInstaller:

• Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Users\---\Desktop\fscs-12.00.648-exportedxx.msi. Client Process Id: 3512.
    • Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Users\---\Desktop\fscs-12.00.648-exportedxx.msi. Client Process Id: 3512.
    • Product: F-Secure Client Security 12.00 -- Installation completed successfully.
    • Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: F-Secure Client Security 12.00. Product Version: 12.00. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: F-Secure Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.

Afterwards I found out, that there is a new version of F-Secure Policy Manager. I upgraded the Policy Manager from V11.31 to V12.00.67239 and built up a new new msi package of the Client Security, but the installation is still not working.

Yes, the windows defender is disabled and KB3093266 is not installed.

Best regards

Patte

• etomcat
    Options
    Hello, FSPM 11.31 is not compatible with FSCS 12.00. You need at least FSPM 12.00.
  • Patte
    Patte W/ Alumni Posts: 7 Security Scout
    Options

Yes, therefore I did an update and wrote it in my post:

Afterwards I found out, that there is a new version of F-Secure Policy Manager. I upgraded the Policy Manager from V11.31 to V12.00.67239 and built up a new new msi package of the Client Security, but the installation is still not working.

• etomcat
    Options

Hello,

> there is no installation folder of F-Secure in the explorer "C:\Program Files\" .

F-Secure is 32 bit software, so it should reside in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, in case of 64-bit computers.

If you enable / select the "F-Secure Off-load Agent" but don't have a corresponding "FSAV SVCE / SRS" appliance, then you end up with an empty anti-virus installation. (The F-Secure install wizard should warn about that pitfall in big red letters, but it doesn't. It is a commonly encountered pitfall.)

Furthermore, you could have a rights problem or maybe you have that "netcafe-like" restricted functionality enabled in Win10? That is not currently supported.

• SWolosz
    SWolosz W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout
    Options

I have the same problem. I have F-Secure Policy Manager Consol ver. 12.00.67239, Policy Manager Server 12.00.67239. Generated msi from fscs-12.00.648.jar with only anty-virus. Installation finished without errors on windows 7 pro 64bit, windows 8 pro 64bit, windows 8.1 pro 64bit, windows 10 pro 64bit, but F-Secure folder in program files have 1,2 MB.

• Vad
    Vad W/ Alumni Posts: 1,069 Cybercrime Crusader
    Options

Hello SWolosz,

The scenario you described is a supported scenario. If it fails for you (you don't have F-Secure icon in tray, and F-Secure services are missing after installation from MSI), please, contact support.

We'll need more details to find out the root.

Best regards,

Vad

This discussion has been closed.

Categories