To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

Software Updater - Forced Reboot.

SMunken
SMunken Posts: 10 Security Scout

Hi,

I have recently been experimenting with fscspr and the added functionality of the updater.

Everything is up and running and i have succesfully updated various 3rd party applications.

Yesterday and multiple times today, i've run into a issue, where the installation of Java 7u79 finishes, and the computer reboots without warning. 

I have checked the policy setting and made sure it doesn't inherit "Force Restart"

From the Windows eventlog(tranlated from danish):

The process C:\ProgramData\F-Secure\FSOFTUPD\deploy\SafeReboot.exe (P08940SMCC01) has initiated a reboot of computer P08940SMCC01 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Program: Installation (planned)

Code: 0x80040002

Closingtype?: Reboot

Has anybody else run into this problem?

Regards

Simon Munk

Comments

• andyYkh
    andyYkh Posts: 5 Security Scout

Hi SMunken,

With regards to your problem, I would suggest you to open a Support Ticket so that we can investigate what is going on:
    http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/business_global/support/contact/request

Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Yoon

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Hello,

The ability to apply security patches without rebooting afterwards is a myth. It doesn't even work correctly on Linux/BSD. You are going to run into problems sooner than later if you apply hotfixes on Windows and shun immediate rebooting. The end result will be OS and applications re-install.

I think patching should be done during off-work hours, via Wake-on-LAN if necessary and then let the computers reboot to truly finish the process.

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

This discussion has been closed.

Categories