To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

How do I temporarily disable F-Secure Client Security?

Nelcin
Nelcin MyAccount Posts: 3 Security Scout

I need to temporarily disable F-Secure Client Security. How do I do that?

Thanks

Comments

• Ben
    Ben W/ Alumni Posts: 664 Cybercrime Crusader

Hello Nelcin,

Can you precise the conditions in which you want to disable CS?

Which component of our product, do you want to stop? The firewall, the real time scanning, deepguard?

You can either stop all F-secure related services or disable the desired components through the GUI and going through the settings.

Don't forget to restart the services or enable again all the component once you are done with what you want to achieve when CS is disabled.

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp W/ Alumni Posts: 669 Firewall Master

Hi,

how about unloading F-Secure from the Tray icon? it must be allowed from policy first, but when the system get rebooted the protection is back automatically.

In general there should be no reason at all to disable or unload F-Secure in any condition, so please explain your problem in more detail. Unless you have configured "all files" and "archive scanning" for realtime surveilance performance should not be a problem...

BR

• Nelcin

Could you elaborate? Where is this "Tray icon", where do I click? And how do I make this allowed in policy?

I'm using Hijackthis to remove some bad stuff from my computer, and F-sec musn't interfere with the program.

I really appreciate your replies, thanks Smiley Very Happy

• Nelcin

"You can either stop all F-secure related services or disable the desired components through the GUI and going through the settings." I wish to stop all F-secure related services. What is the GUI?

• MJ-perComp

right click on the blue F-secure tray icon and select "unload"

but it must be allowed in PMS in FSMA-section "allow unloading for everyone"

BR

• nayan007
    nayan007 MyAccount Posts: 7 Security Scout

After doing this do we need to start the PC to save the settings Smiley Happy

• Rodger
    Rodger MyAccount Posts: 1 Security Scout

Matthias

You are wrong to state that in general there should be no reason at all to disable or unload F-Secure in any condition, and as you work as a Gold Partner, your view is highly biased towards the product IMHO.

There are many reasons why it is necessary to disable F-Secure. I have had a similar issue (among a number of others), and I can assure you that the paying customer (that is those of us who subscribe to this product) get extremely frustrated to the point of almost taking a hammer to the machine. The fact is, F-Secure should not take over our PCs/Laptops. When I load a program, I want to have control over when I load it, not let it be determined by F-Secure. I also shouldn't have to jump through hoops in order to get an answer from F-Secure Support to what is a very simple question e.g. How do I stop F-Secure from starting up automatically. I'd be more than happy to have a dialog box which flashes onto my screen during boot up to ask me if I want to load F-Secure or not - and it's hardly rocket science to write those few lines of code to do that.

Have you ever considered that not every machine accesses the Internet all of the time? Do you not imagine that perhaps someone may be having problems caused by F-Secure running - and it's not obvious how to stop it is it? Perhaps you feel it is appropriate for F-Secure to be running all the time when working in a closed network without any external connectivity - but I don't. Maybe having F-Secure prevent you from connecting to an internal application server is acceptable to you, but not to me, and probably not to the many other users out there who have similar issues. I could stay up all night listing problems caused by having F-Secure installed, but I'd probably rather just forget I ever heard of the product in the first place.

I don't have to worry about F-Secure now, as I can unload it at will, but that isn't a solution - it's a workaround as F-Secure shouldn't be loaded in the first place unless I want it to be. Because of these issues, F-Secure will not be renewed when my present subsription expires, and it will be completely removed from my three machines - yes, I was stupid enough to purchase a multi licence even though I can never get them all to work because of the stupid license problems I had - which never got resolved by F-Secure. I'd rather have a zillion viruses on my system than have to suffer the pain of F-Secure again. And for the record, I haven't upgraded to FS IS 2012 either - I am not in the habit of willingly having more pain inflicted on me.

So why am I on this page? It came up in search results for something which appears to be totally unrelated!

Enjoy your F-Secure world Smiley Indifferent

• MJ-perComp

Hi Rodger,

you misunderstood my post, and you are right, there are situations where "unload" is needed, nevertheless the product should run as smooth and non-interfering as possible and if you find significant conflicts you should report them to support so that R&D can improve the routines in Question.

This thread is about Client Security, which is the product for business use. Company security policies usually require that the user is NOT allowed to tamper with ANY security installation. And this is simply the default in the settings.

Allowing "unload" to all corpoarte users will sonner or later lead into constant unloading.

"Deciding during boot if you want AV or not" - well if you think this is clever go ahead set the services to "manual" then create a batch to start them and load the executables.

But this can not be a standard option for 99,999% of the users!

There is lots of malware that can stealth during boot or simply wait for exactly a situation where the AV is not loaded.

Nope! I would heavily disagree if F-Secure would implement the software in a way where the User can decide during boot.

• Jayson
    Jayson W/ Alumni Posts: 106 Firewall Master

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

I have moved this thread to End-point Security board.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Xxeno1
    Xxeno1 MyAccount Posts: 1 Security Scout

f-secure also prevents the Skycaddie sync softwares from connecting, and that is a huge problem for thousands.  The firewall needs to allow connectivity to Skygolf.com, https://skygolf.com, and https://clubsg.skygolf.com.  As well as the sync programs they use to load software back and forth to the Skycaddie.

This is a notorious program, especially the package you have with Charter Cable.

I understand the need to have certain ports closed, but you should be able to give the clients the ability to perform mundane tasks and not over complicate thier networks.

It has been almost impossible to deal with your software from a techsupport role.

• keiooz
    keiooz MyAccount Posts: 9 Security Scout

What can we say, every software has its down fall. You can use a single AV on all software 100%. But F-Secure is already running on Bit Defender scan engine. I don't know if there are any differences. image

• Rick586
    Rick586 W/ Alumni Posts: 53 Security Scout

For quickness, I use a command prompt and execute:

Net Stop FSMA and then Net Start FSMA to return to normal. 

You can also do this via Services in Control Panel or by;

unchecking the "Turn on Real-time scanning" option under Computer, Virus and Spyware Options, accessed from the Settings Box from the main screen.

If you're on an internal LAN, secured by a decent UTM firewall, then you could consider running your clients without F-Secure's firewall by not installing that module otherwise to be fair to the product, unless you install the Policy Manager and configure all your clients firewall settings centrally, this is going to be an exercise in futility.

Personally, (and I've tried quite a few AV products in my time - actually all of the big vendors and several smaller ones), F-Secure has one of the lightest overheads and highest detection rates and we have multi-level firewall and AV products in my organisation but thanks to F-Secure, its managed to catch quite a few rouges, including ones that Websense's so called ironclad & flagship solution, the V10000 allowed to slip through! Smiley Frustrated

Websense are banging a drum about their product currently but they're not so responsive when I show them what F-Secure finds, which is sitting right behind their product! 

Good luck and hope that helps.

• J-C
    J-C W/ Alumni Posts: 46 Security Scout

Hi,

I would like to disable Client Security on several hosts in my test domain, all at once from the Policy manager. How do I do this, is it enough to uncheck the choices below?

Enable Automatic updates

Real-time scanning enabled

Enable FW engine

E-mail and Web scanning are not in use.

Anything else I should be aware of, that also must be disabled?

When I tried to stop and disable all F-secure services on my PC, seems there still are 4 "drivers" resident in memory, see pic.  What are these and wouldn´t they continue to protect the PC even though I have disabled all Windows services?

Do I need to reboot every machine after disabling to make it work?

f-secure_services.png

Thanks and regards,

JC

• asymawi22
    asymawi22 W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

How do you turn off the security features ??
    i can change nothing at setting .help me

• rajesh02negi
    rajesh02negi W/ Alumni Posts: 1 Security Scout

Provide an answer

This discussion has been closed.