To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

Search, tag, columns, WoL... why there's not real evolution?

flibuste
flibuste W/ Alumni Posts: 5 Security Scout

Hi,

I'm using F-Secure for 2 years, with a lot of problems with Windows 7 (updating this workstations have never worked, it's ok only since W10 migration) and I still don't understand why key features are not present in your product.

First of all, your search engine is more or less... useless. It's not able to retrieve a string! We have to type the beginning of the string. If I search for "88GK", it don't find WK-88GK.

Tags are useful... but there is only ONE tag per station. No way to add user field. So, no way to order by specific user information.

Speaking of ordering, ordering by OS version only partially work: it's not possible to have specific Windows 10 version grouped (10.0.17 137, 10.0.18362...)

Always on search/ordering, it's unfortunately impossible to make multiple selection with shift and ctrl. Totally unproductive.

Concerning columns, it will be great to have a customized view, with choosen columns.

And finally, the update system, in addition to not always being functional (impossible to upgrade Windows 10 versions; the "service pack" update does not work), is not at all practical because it does not allow WoL (or, better - we can dream -, a sleep/wake system) nor the staggered updates (for example : make critical updates immediately, make other updates in the evening, gradually, make version updates only at night).

Bonus: web protection make a lot of false positive and browsing is sometimes much slower (on recent PC, great CPU and 100M fiber connection...).

Yes, so you will have understood that I'm not totally satisfied with F-Secure FSB. And I wonder about renewing it for our 200 computers. But I don't think there's much missing to make it a good solution. Too bad it hasn't changed much in the last two years (except for paid options...).

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Comments

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 498 Moderator

Hi flibuste

I will check with the relevant team, and update you accordingly.

• flibuste
    flibuste W/ Alumni Posts: 5 Security Scout

You are right to insist on the work done in the background because, yes, the quality of the antivirus has clearly improved.

I'm glad to see that the improvements I'm talking about are on the roadmap!

Thank you for this detailed answer which shows your involvement and - I hope:) - the seriousness of development.

• etomcat
    etomcat W/ Alumni Posts: 1,172 Firewall Master

Dear Mika,

> We continuously work to reduce the number of false positives and we have some large projects in place that will improve things even further in the future. We are also working to make it easier for an administrator or end user to report false positives.

That can't come soon enough. Today I reported a DOZEN different false file malware alerts in the PSB system to F-Secure Virus Lab, but I think only about half of them will be resolved cause the lab keeps demanding binary file samples in those cases where a VirusTotal webportal reference URL isn't available for the exact hash checksum.

Collecting samples from an end-user computer is essentially impossible with PSB, where the client fleet is geographically distributed and I have never been any of those locations, e.g. ~5000 school computers throughout the country are visible under our SoP level account and they regularly throw various false alarms mostly regarding domestic hungarian created program codes.

I feel the amount of file false alarms grew sharply since the BitDefender main virus scan engine got phased out and replaced with Avira OEM in F-Secure protection and the situation still hasn't normalized.

Thanks for your kind attention, Sincerely: Tamas Fehr, Huungary.

• maaretp
    maaretp W/ Alumni Posts: 62 W/ Former Staff

Hi Tamas,

happy to report from R&D that a feature that would make reporting false alarms easier is under development and while we make no promises on schedule, our general principle is that things that are started will finish. We have felt the same pain on our side, and appreciate you for reminding us that our set priorities are in the right direction.

Maaret