To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

Creation of MSI installation package with one-launcher.exe fails

JUB
JUB W/ Alumni Posts: 9 Security Scout

Hi All,

I'm using the Policy Manager Console on Linux. However, building MSI packages for Windows unfortunately still requires a Windows machine.

According to the Policy Manager manual, the command line looks like:

program\inst\one-launcher.exe --install --prepare_msi_only --msi OneClientCS.msi

Although no MSI package will be created.

The last lines of the logfile are:

2022-09-16 08:34:17.072 [34c8.34bc] I: msi_helpers::prepareMsi4Install: Open Msi DB
2022-09-16 08:34:17.112 [34c8.34bc] *E: wmain: Type: MsiException, Reason: , Function: , File: , Line: 0, Error Code : 110
2022-09-16 08:34:17.112 [34c8.34bc] I: *** LOG AUTO-CLOSED ***

That does not really help me at the moment, though.

The exported JAR file is based on fscs-15.30.3961.jar. The Poicy Manager version is 15.30.96312.

What is the problem?

Thanks, JUB

Best Answer

• JUB
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sethu , Hi @Jamesch

The problem is solved. In the end it was a misunderstanding. - My mistake.

What happened?

First I had entered the command as it is written in the documentation. Apparently nothing happened.

Later I changed the parameter --msi D:\fscs-15.30.3961-test.msi, assuming that it was the output file. This in turn led to the error in the log file.

I missed that OneClientCS.msi already exists in the program\inst directory and is being changed. This is done so fast that it seems like nothing happened.

I expected the built MSI package to be in the current directory or at the specified destination. The mistake: the filename given with the --msi parameter is not a freely selectable output file, but input and output at the same time.

Answers

• Sethu Laks
    Sethu Laks W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 207 Moderator

Hi @JUB

Could you please confirm if the following steps have been tried?

1. Export the client installation JAR package from Policy Manager Console for Linux.

2. Move the CS JAR package to Windows host.

3. Extract the content of the JAR archive on a Windows host.

4. Run the following command on Windows host:

• For Client Security: program\inst\one-launcher.exe --install --prepare_msi_only

--msi OneClientCS.msi

• For Server Security: program\inst\one-launcher.exe --install --prepare_msi_only

--msi OneClientSS.msi

• JUB

Hi @Sethu

I can confirm the 4 steps exactly like this. (These are the steps form the documentation section "How to prepare MSI installation packages with Policy Manager for Linux".)

I always get the error shown in the log above, but no MSI package.

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 498 Moderator

Hi @JUB ,

Error 110 means:

ERROR_OPEN_FAILED

The system cannot open the device or file specified

In your scenario , jar is extracted to 'fscs-15.30.3961-exported' directory correct ?

Would be good to check if fscs-15.30.3961-exported\program\inst\OneClientCS.msi is extracted from the archive, is accessible (i.e. UAC does not prohibit the write access), and one-launcher.exe is executed from the fscs-15.30.3961-exported or fscs-15.30.3961-exported\program\inst\ base directories

This discussion has been closed.