To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

DeepGuard Issue (false positive)

zwp-secure
zwp-secure Member Posts: 24 Cyber Knight
edited October 15 in Business Suite

Hi there,

since the update to WithSecure 16, DeepGuard sends strange alerts to our admins like this one:

Sicherheitsalarm: DeepGuard hat eine verdächtige Anwendung angehalten, die versucht hat, geschützte Dateien zu ändern.
Von: XXX,
2024-01-10 10:42:43 +01:00
Details: DeepGuard hat eine verdächtige Anwendung angehalten, die versucht hat, geschützte Dateien zu verändern.
Anwendungspfad: C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe
Datei-Hash: 32b8b2e3b3ecd8e194ace65a5e5052c326d7ccaa
Erkennung: Suspicious:W32/SuspiciousMsiPackage.A!DeepGuard
Seltenheit: Unknown
Prozess-ID: 19788
Benutzername: XXX

This happens everytime when someone executes a random software setup package directly from a SMB share. When the same package is executed from your local harddrive instead, the alarm does not appear. What could be the cause here?

Answers

• JamesC
    JamesC Staff, Moderator Posts: 543 W/ Moderator

Hi @zwp-secure

Thank you for reaching out to WithSecure Community and sorry to hear that you are receiving the False Positive detection on SMB share.

Can you please submit a sample of the file, and WSDiag logs, using the below link, so our detection team can investigate further ?

https://www.withsecure.com/en/submit-a-sample

• zwp-secure

Hi,

OK, I'll have to wait until it occurs again. Or maybe you fixed it in the meantime ;-)

• zwp-secure

Occured & then submitted msi file today!

• zwp-secure

Happened again…

Sicherheitsalarm: DeepGuard hat eine verdächtige Anwendung angehalten, die versucht hat, geschützte Dateien zu ändern.
    Von: XXX, 2024-02-07 10:21:12 +01:00
    Details: DeepGuard hat eine verdächtige Anwendung angehalten, die versucht hat, geschützte Dateien zu verändern.
    Anwendungspfad: C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe
    Datei-Hash: 32b8b2e3b3ecd8e194ace65a5e5052c326d7ccaa
    Erkennung: Suspicious:W32/SuspiciousMsiPackage.A!DeepGuard
    Seltenheit: Unknown
    Prozess-ID: 12416
    Benutzername: XXX

• zwp-secure

It turned out that it happens EVERY TIME you try to execute a msi package from an SMB share. It´s the msiexec.exe that is handled false positive.

Still, when execute the same package from the local harddrive, everything runs fine.

• JamesC

Hi @zwp-secure

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing the false positive on SMB share , but not local drive.

I checked with our detection team. Please submit a WSDiag log and case so they can investigate further as whitelisting will not work in this scenario.

• zwp-secure

Hi James,

of Server or Client? Where should I upload it?

• JamesC

Hi @zwp-secure

You may upload the logs from SMB server and affected client to our Submit-a-Sample.

• zwp-secure

OK, I uploaded the clients file. For the server log is 350 MB, I uploaded this via FTP.

• JamesC

Hi @zwp-secure ,

Thank for submitting the file.

Our detection team shall continue all communication from your case # 051xxxx8 

This discussion has been closed.

Categories