To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

Software Updater - show Balloon tip on security related updates

tabbit
tabbit W/ Alumni Posts: 5 Security Scout

Hello,

we like the Software Updater feature in your product, but we would like to give people the possibility to install the updates themselves instead of pushing updates from the EPP central.

Due to this, we would like to be able to set a profile option which pops a message up in Windows, telling users that there are updates available for them to install.. Up to now I did not find an option for this.

I already opened a ticket in the past, but somehow I don't get any updates on this..

Best regards

Best Answer

• MikaArasola
    MikaArasola W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Product Leadership Posts: 68 W/ Staff
    Solved

Manual messages will also be possible soon, we have almost completed the possibility to send messages to endpoints from the portal. These messages will come as an overlay on the screen and allow an admin to type whatever message they want.

Answers

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 508 Moderator

Hi,

As this is related to a new Feature Request, we would suggest to be in touch with your F-Secure account manager so they can raise this to product development.

• tabbit

Thank you! I got in contact after this post, but unfortunately it seems not to be planned for now.. :-(

• MikaArasola
    MikaArasola W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Product Leadership Posts: 68 W/ Staff

One of the challenges here is that we try to abide to Windows UX guidelines and in it there is a standard mechanism for notifications (not a balloon). I'll talk to developers about the possibility to show the user a notification through the standard mechanisms to notify that updates are available, maybe there is then a possibility to later extend that to be even more apparent. Likely we could get that done during Q2.

• tabbit

Great, Mika - this is really good news! Even if I could just have the possibility to push this or some kind of manual message to everybody of concern, this would be great!

Thank you!

• tabbit

Ah, if it's also possible to send out such messages to machines in a filtered manner, that would be awesome! (e.g. to all machines with critical software updates, etc.) Looking forward to this new feature!

This discussion has been closed.