To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

Cannot push install Client Security with Policy Manager 16.00

Options
Marcus
Marcus W/ Member Posts: 3 Security Scout

Hello, i recently update Policy Manager Server and Console to Withsecure Policy Manager 16.00.98215. After updating i'm no longer able to push install of Client Security to clients, the installation immediately fails with error "Cannot create a unique filename for temporary file."

Happens with the Withsecure Client Security 16.00.8376 and also with the previous installation package, F-secure Client Security 15.30.3969

What could the issue be? Everything worked fine with Policy Manager 15.30, and at the moment i cannot deploy Client Security to new PCs.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Sethu Laks
    Sethu Laks W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 221 Moderator
    Solved
    Options

Hi @Jukka @Marcus

Our R&D team has successfully identified the root causes of the issue. The problem arises when the Policy Manager Console is launched as a non-admin user, leading to a failure in the Push Install process with a "Cannot create a unique filename for temporary file" error. This error occurs at the outset of the push installation.

Rest assured that our R&D is actively working on a solution to address this issue. In the meantime, a viable workaround is to initiate the Policy Manager Console with administrative privileges (using "Run as admin") and then proceed to attempt the Push installation.

Best regards,
    Sethu
    Community Moderator | Technical Support Engineer
    WithSecure™  https://www.withsecure.com/en/home

Answers

• Jukka
    Jukka W/ Member Posts: 15 Junior Protector
    Options

Same happening with Premium version of client, both workstation and server versions.

• Sethu Laks
    Sethu Laks W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 221 Moderator
    Options

Hi @Marcus

Thank you for reaching out to the WithSecure Community,

Concerning the issue related to the inability to push install Client Security with Policy Manager 16.00 after upgrading, I would like to inquire: Did you perform a direct upgrade of Policy Manager 16 over an existing Policy Manager 15.30 installation?

If so, I would recommend trying a clean re-install of Policy Manager 16 rather than an in-place upgrade. You can refer to this article for steps to fully uninstall before re-installing PM 16: https://community.withsecure.com/en/kb/articles/31216-policy-manager-server-upgrade-to-16-00-fails-if-previous-15-version-installation-is-not-on-default-c-drive

A clean install can sometimes resolve issues caused by upgrading between major versions. If the problem remains after a fresh PM 16 install, please collect fsdiag logs from both the Client Security installed machine and Policy Manager server Installed machine.

You can then submit those logs via a support channel for further troubleshooting assistance. This will help us dig into what is causing the Push installation or connectivity failures.

Let me know if you need any help with the clean re-install or grabbing the fsdiag logs! I'm happy to provide detailed steps.

Best regards,
    Sethu
    Community Moderator | Technical Support Engineer
    WithSecure™ https://www.withsecure.com/en/home

• Jukka
    Jukka W/ Member Posts: 15 Junior Protector
    Options

You can't do policy based installs or upgrades either. Also policy manager upgrade will lose your product keys for older clients. Had go back to PM15.30.

• Marcus
    Options

I can confirm i updated a 15.30 Policy Manager Server, the odd thing is that from the console on the server the push install works fine, it only fails when trying to deploy Client Security from a remote Policy Manager Console. I'll try and see if i can do a fresh PM 16.00 install on the server.

• Marcus
    Options

Thank you very much, your workaround works fine! By starting the remote Policy Manager Console with "Run as admin" the push install works perfectly.

Thank you

Best regards,