To stay updated on your favorite discussions, please create an account or log in. Then, click the Bookmark icon to subscribe and receive notifications.

How do I view the current version of software installed on end points?

Options
MikeP
MikeP W/ Member Posts: 3 Security Scout

Under the patch management section it is possible to see a list of software updates that are needed. This shows the current version of each item of software, and also the Target version that can be rolled out.

However, if I need to check the current version of a particular piece of software on our endpoints, how can this be done? Is there a way to view this information even if WithSecure isn't aware of an outstanding updates?

Answers

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 516 Moderator
    Options

Hi @MikeP

Thank you for contacting WithSecure Community.

I am checking with our product team and shall update you.

• JamesC
    JamesC W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Moderator Posts: 516 Moderator
    Options

Hi @MikeP

Thank you for your patience. I just heard back from R&D.

If my understanding is correct, you would like to display a software catalog of what is currently installed on a computer, irrespective of whether it has been patched or not.

This feature has is currently being considered by our product developers.

• MikeP
    Options

Hi @JamesC

A software catalog for each computer would be very useful, so it is great that this is being considered.

The scenario I was trying to achieve is to be able to view the current version of a particular piece of software. For example, if I get notification from a software producer that for security reasons we should ensure all devices are running at least version X, then it would be great to be able to use WithSecure to check this information across devices.

• MikaArasola
    MikaArasola W/ Partner, W/ Staff, W/ Product Leadership Posts: 72 W/ Staff
    Options

For this purpose you might be able to use patch management. If an update is available then it will display both the current and latest version and provide the means to update.

There can be a delay between the vendor notifying about a vulnerability and the update being available, and of course you have to scan the devices for the data to be visible in the portal. A full list of supported software is available at the bottom of this page: https://www.withsecure.com/en/solutions/software-and-services/business-suite/software-updater

One of the complications here is, that we would like a software catalogue to integrate with patch management and that adds an extra layer of complexity.

• MikeP
    Options

Thanks for your feedback Mika. I usually do use the patch management, which is great and works really well when there is an update available. So it would be really handy to have this extended to be able to view the current status of software even if patch management doesn't have a new update.